Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Health and Fitness

On Sunday was the City to Surf which I went along to and ran a time of 54minutes and 4 seconds - almost 2 minutes faster than my previous year. Last year I trained specifically for this event, with long runs, VO2 Max, lactate threshold, and interval training. This time with little specific training I ran a great time, and of course will be even better next year.

After event with friends sore and stiff, I was ready to play again.

My point here is that with an excellent base level of fitness and a focus in certain areas we can perform anywhere and anytime. To achieve this I regularly workout using various bodyweight, plyometric, cross fit, sprint and weights training. This balance has built a solid structure around which I can enjoy different events and recover well. Eating a diet consisting entirely of fresh ripe organic fruit and vegetables certainly helps also.

Also on the city to surf a 27 year old man died 200 metres from the finish line. I am unable to articulate the exact details but it is alarming that this could happen to a man in the prime of his life. So many times we focus on fitness and the body beautiful, feeding it with artificial substances and create a temporary facade but how many times are we actually promoting thriving or true health?

How many servings of fruit and vegetables have you had today?

My next event is the 100km Oxfam Trailwalker (which we will be running). Please send me you love and energy on the 29th August and as always have the best day ever and keep pumping

2 comments:

tim said...

good meeting you at the raw weekend.

that is a great time. Imagine how far you would run on a good steak.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brock,
Great City to Surf time!!

As tim said, nice to meet you at the Raw Retreat. Next time I am looking forward to staying the entire weekend!

Good luck at Trailwalker! I am also taking part, so hopefully I might see you on the trail.

Bethany